What is the challenge?
For the second year, we’re asking Reindeer Runners to take on the challenge of running 24 miles throughout December - that’s one mile for every hour RNLI lifesavers are on call every day, even on Christmas Day. One way of tackling the challenge is to run 1 mile every day for 24 days, and you can use our activity calendar to help keep you on track. However, it is 24 miles over the whole of December, so it’s up to you how you’d like to run the challenge.
How does the challenge work?
We are asking everyone that takes on the challenge to run 24 miles throughout December. When you register, a fundraising page will be automatically created which you can share with your friends and family. Then all you need to do is choose how you’d like to tackle the challenge, lace up your hooves and get running!
Do I need to do this on a specific day?
You can choose to run your 24 miles any time in December.
Do I need to run 1 mile every day?
No, you decide how you would like to tackle the challenge. Running 1 mile every day for 24 days is one option. You could even walk it - on average, it takes just 20 minutes to walk a mile.
It is up to you how you would like to face the challenge. Running 24 miles throughout December is no mean feat, so make sure to plan your runs so they fit into your lifestyle.
Where does the event take place?
The Reindeer Run Challenge is a virtual event, and you decide when and where you want to complete your runs. Just choose your favourite place to run and get started.
Is there a registration fee?
There is no registration fee to take part in the virtual Reindeer Run, however we are asking everyone that takes on the Reindeer Run Challenge to raise funds via their fundraising page to bring us closer to saving every one we can.
Will I receive a medal?
Anyone who raises at least £100/€100 on their personal fundraising page will receive a Reindeer Run medal. Anyone who is part of a team, who’s fundraising team total is an average of at least 100/€100 per person will also receive a Reindeer Run medal.
How do I collect money for my event?
Once you sign up, your fundraising page will be automatically created, and all donations collected on your page will come directly to the RNLI. You can add your own profile picture and tell us why you’re taking on the Reindeer Run. You can then share your page with friends and family so they can donate to support you and the RNLI’s volunteer lifesavers.
How do I pay in my fundraising?
If you receive any cash donations, you can bank them yourself and transfer the amount to your online fundraising page. Every contribution makes a real, lifesaving.
Is there a minimum amount I should raise?
The money you raise will help our lifesavers to save every one they can, so we are asking everyone that takes on the Reindeer Run to try and raise at least £250/€250.
Which apps can I use to track my distance?
You can track your distance and steps using several different apps, including Fitbit and Garmin.
How do I connect my fitness app to my fundraising page?
Your profile page includes your personal distance tally so you can track your distance towards your target. This is a great way to keep your friends updated on your workouts!
If you track your workouts with Fitbit, Strava, MapMyFitness or Garmin your distances will automatically add to your tally.
Follow these steps to track your KMs automatically:
2. Log in to your [charity or event name] account.
3. Under the heading Connect your preferred Fitness app, click your chosen app.
4. Follow the prompts to connect your account
5. When you next work out, select start your workout in the app on your phone. Once you end your workout, save your workout and your distance will be published to the tally on your page the following day.
If you have synced your app already but it is not working, please log in and re-connect it.
- Fitbit: You must start an activity and save it. If no activity is logged, then your cumulative activity will sync at the end of the day. If you are having issues, try syncing through BOTH your Fitbit and the Fitbit app on your smartphone.
- MapMyFitness: You must start your workout, stop your workout and then SAVE your workout.
- Strava: You must start your workout, stop your workout and then SAVE your workout.
- Garmin: You must start your workout, stop your workout and then SAVE your workout.
Your tally will be updated each day with the previous day’s distances.
Manually adding activity
Remember, you can manually add your exercise to the tally in the My Fitness Activity tab within your logged in dashboard. This is a great option if you’re using a pedometer or a different method of tracking your distances.
Follow these steps to manually add your activity:
1. Log in to your account and select My Fitness Activity.
2. Under Add activity, enter the required fields. Depending on the challenge this may be steps, distance and/duration.
3. The logged activity will now appear on your fundraising page!
How do I join an existing team?
- Use the search bar in the top navigation to search for the team
- This will lead you to the 'sponsor' page and will show you all the results for that name
- Alternatively, you can go to the team tab on the sponsor page, and scroll through the teams.
- Once you have found the team you want to join, click on the arrow to view that team page
- Then click the 'join us' button (next to the social share buttons)
- If you are logged in it will ask you to confirm the team you want to join
- If you aren't registered, it will send you down the registration flow and add you to that team
Is there an age limit to take part?
You must be aged 18 or older to register for the Reindeer Run Challenge. Under 18's are welcome to participate but they must be registered by someone over 18.
I use a wheelchair. Can I still take part?
Absolutely. Fitbit and Garmin (mobile applications used to track your distance) can both record distances for wheelchair users.
Any more questions?
Please email us at Reindeer_Run@rnli.org.uk and one of the team will be able to help.